Re: PDE backward solution problem

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg117094] Re: PDE backward solution problem
  • From: schochet123 <schochet123 at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 07:02:12 -0500 (EST)

Concerning question 3, yes it does help to look at the linearized
equations. Linearizing around constant states via
Normal[Series[equationsForSolution/.n[j_] -> (c[j] + eps nn[j][#1, #2]
&),{eps,0,1}]
yields a linear parabolic system. You should therefore expect that the
full nonlinear equations will behave like a parabolic system.

This means that the answer to question 1 is: No you cannot expect
NDSolve to be able to solve the equations backwards in time. To see
why, consider the standard parabolic equation D[u[t,x],t]==c^2
D[u[t,x],x,x]. In Fourier space, the solution multiplies each mode
E^(I k x)  by E^(-c^2 k^2 t). If t is negative then this multiplier is
extremely large for large values of k, and even tends to positive
infinity as k goes to infinity. Hence the solution does not exist for
negative times unless the initial data is chosen in a very special
manner, such as having only a finite number of Fourier modes.

For a finite difference approximation on a uniform grid we can still
describe the solution in terms of Fourier modes, but the highest
possible value of k is Pi/h, where h denotes the grid spacing. This
highest Fourier mode is the one that takes alternate values 1,-1,1,-1,
etc at successive grid points. Solving backwards in time, this mode
will be multiplied by E^(c^2 Pi^2 (-t)/h^2), which quickly becomes
enormous for (-t) larger than O(h^2). The default NDSolve method uses
uniform grids, and seems to select the number of grid points, and
hence the value of h, according to the complexity of the initial data,
which makes good sense. If a reasonably large number of grid points
are used, and/or the value of c is moderately large, then it would not
be surprising that the solution can be computed only for (-t) of the
order of O(10^(-6)).

If you want to see this effect in a simple case, try running
NDSolve[{D[u[t, x], t] == -D[u[t, x], x, x], u[t, 1] == u[t, -1],
  u[0, x] == Sin[Pi x]}, u, {t, 0, 1}, {x, -1, 1}]
Although the initial data has been selected to make the solution to
the PDE remain nicely behaved, numerical errors produce small
coefficients of higher Fourier modes such as the one with k equal to
Pi/h, and the enormous growth of that mode soon makes it tremendously
larger than the Fourier mode of the true solution.

To avoid this problem, can't you simply run the calculation forward in
time for a slightly smaller time to make up for the delay.?

Steve