CDF player and opening non-Mathematica files

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg117144] CDF player and opening non-Mathematica files
  • From: Tom <tidetabletom at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 06:13:52 -0500 (EST)

Hello everyone,

This might not have been an issue for anyone,  but a major drawback
for my personal preparation of lessons has been the inability to link
to non-Mathematica files using MathPlayer.

I know that with Mathematica,  you can use SystemOpen to open any
file.

This is great to create lessons that might link to movies or other
supporting files.

I just did an experiment and found that if I created a button to open
a movie file,   that button WORKED in the new CDF player.

E.g.

Button["try",
 SystemOpen[FileNameJoin[{NotebookDirectory[], "T1457_2.mp4"}]]]

I'll be able to make some major improvements to lesson flow and
interest by more easily incorporating other kinds of files .

I won't be able to implement this till next year, once our students
get the new player,  but if anyone else is interested or has need of
this kind of functionality,  can you confirm for me that this
works...?

I.E.   if you create a button to open some kind of "other" file,  that
button will work in CDFPlayer.

Thanks for your time,

Tom