Re: How to kill slave kernel securely?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg117164] Re: How to kill slave kernel securely?
  • From: Oliver Ruebenkoenig <ruebenko at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 06:42:26 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011, Alexey Popkov wrote:

> [...]

I am not sure I understand that. How would you that know with
FreeMemoryConstrained.

If you do not want your system to go into swap, have you tried switching
it off in the first place?

Assuming you are on Linux you could use ulimit to set memory constraints.
This then would allow other processes to access the rest of the memory. I
have no idea how and if this works, say, on windows.

> 2) My bitter experience with MemoryConstrained clearly shows that it is not
> a reliable function. It practical cases when I heavily use such functions as
> NDSolve, NIntegrate etc. it often allows MathKernel to take for example
> 500-900 MB more that I have set. And system goes into swapping...

You could forward that to the tech support for us to look at.

Oliver