Re: Does MemoryConstrained count stack space?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg117425] Re: Does MemoryConstrained count stack space?
  • From: Leonid Shifrin <lshifr at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 05:59:57 -0500 (EST)

Alexey,

My impression of the memory consumption by the stack has been that it is
(usually?)
much smaller than memory typically used for computations. In other words,
you have
just a relatively small amount of memory allowed to be used by the stack
until the kernel
crashes:

In[1]:= MaxMemoryUsed[]

Out[1]= 18009584

In[2]:= Quiet@Module[{f, n = 0}, f[x_] := (n += 1; f[x + 1]);
   TimeConstrained[Block[{$RecursionLimit = 65000}, f[0]], 0.5, n]];

In[3]:= MaxMemoryUsed[]

Out[3]= 29857584

It is about 10 Mb only, and on my system (AMD Phenom X6, Win7, M8.0, 8Gb
RAM) setting the
$RecursionLimit  to a slightly larger value results in a crash for this
particular function. Given that
generally the Mathematica's memory-constraining functions are working
approximately at best,
and given also that the stack space seems to often be only a small fraction
of the total memory
used in a computation, the memory-based method of avoiding crashes does not
seem promising
to me.

If it is the crashes that you want to prevent, I'd set a fixed finite
$RecursionLimit, or, even better,
look carefully at your functions to see why they need such a deep recursion
and whether you can
rewrite the code to use iterations. OTOH, if you want to prevent the large
memory consumption,
evaluation stack seems to not be the main contributing factor. If your goal
is to prevent excessive
swapping,  in this thread

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica/browse_thread/thread/bc41b4a5f51fbcb8

a function is developed which you may find useful.

Regards,
Leonid