Following position change in different vectors

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg117480] Following position change in different vectors
  • From: Lengyel Tamas <lt648 at hszk.bme.hu>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 04:53:00 -0500 (EST)

Dear Mathworld Users,

Sorry for asking your help again, I hope I'm not spamming too much.
My problem is the following:

1) I have 2 vectors with equal length. The positions of the first vector
correspond to the second vector. So the first element of v2 is calculated
from the first element of v1, etc.

2) I wish to sort the first vector in ascending magnitude using Sort[v1].
Naturally the positions of v1's elements change.

What I want is the same change of position in v2's positions.

(So e.g. if v1's sixth element moves after Sort to  the first position,
I'd like v2's same position element to follow suit)

Thank you for your help in advance.

Tamas