Re: Wolfram, meet Stefan and Boltzmann

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg117488] Re: Wolfram, meet Stefan and Boltzmann
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 04:54:27 -0500 (EST)
On 19 Mar 2011, at 11:20, AES wrote:

> In article <ilve3r$emn$1 at smc.vnet.net>, SigmundV <sigmundv at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> This is on the high end of timings posted here, but no surprise given
>> my low-end hardware. The timings posted by others using similar
>> hardware to AES's points to his specific MacBook Pro being at fault.
>>

> There have been at least 3 or 4 posts by other MacBook users reporting
> more or less exactly the same timing as I'm seeing -- nicht wahr?
> (Including the post that immediately precedes yours in the session of
> c.s-s.m.m that I'm reading right now).

Which suggests that it is most likely confined to a particular model or range of models of MacBooks. There have been quite many of these.
It certainly does not happen on recent MacBooks or MacBook PRO's (mine, bought a few months ago, gives the result in between 1.6 and 1.8 seconds).

Andrzej Kozlowski