Q for WRI: What % of users are on platform x?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg117551] Q for WRI: What % of users are on platform x?
  • From: telefunkenvf14 <rgorka at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 05:09:14 -0500 (EST)

Does anyone know the breakdown of users who run Mathematica on (1) Windows,
(2) Mac, (3) Linux? I recall coming across info on users by field of
interest, but never by platform they use Mathematica on.

Why am I interested in this? --- From what I can tell, Mathematica uses the
PortAudio sound API as a way to simplify the development of sound
capabilities across platforms, and I was wondering about ways to
either improve capabilities via PortAudio or perhaps programming links
to an alternate cross-platform API. (The main alternative I've come
across is the Bass Sound API, which is free for individuals to use non-
commercially and priced very modestly, IMO, for multi-platform
commercial projects.)

-RG