FinishDynamic out of Dynamic enviroment

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg117559] FinishDynamic out of Dynamic enviroment
  • From: Dirk Fehse <dirk.fehse at chemie.uni-halle.de>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 05:10:43 -0500 (EST)

Dear Community,
I found a Problem with Mathematica 7 on Winxp SP3.
It looks like it?s not possible to use a construction like:

func[]:=Dynamic[func2[]];
func2[]:=Block[{},FinishDynamic[];"Do something"];

If using this construction you get after some time a runtime Windows
error.(see http://img18.imageshack.us/i/runtimeerrort.jpg/).

This Problem is the same for all dynamic/interactive Functions e.g.
Manipulate too.
Also I found a post:
http://forums.wolfram.com/mathgroup/archive/2008/Jan/msg00396.html

same error

The way I use to avoid this, is to reform the expression in the form:

func[]:=Dynamic[FinishDynamic[];func2[]];
func2[]:=Block[{},"Do something"];

Comment: you can try Module or DynamicModule instead of Block it will
not change the error.

Take home Message: Use FinishDynamic only in an interactiv enviroment.

Cheers
Dirk