Mathematica versions (was Re: PopupWindow vs EventHandler)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg117547] Mathematica versions (was Re: PopupWindow vs EventHandler)
  • From: Armand Tamzarian <mike.honeychurch at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 05:08:31 -0500 (EST)

On Mar 21, 10:16 pm, Syd Geraghty <sydgerag... at me.com> wrote:
> Dear Thomas & MathGroup,
>
>         As I said in my private communication to you your original code w=
orked "as is" on my Mathematica system setup below. I have addressed this p=
ost to MathGroup to see if other Mac users also saw no problems.

> I generated the two plots in separate windows, copied the graphs & then p=
asted them successfully into the working notebook or other new notebooks.

> I have modified your original post to accentuate the two different method=
s but the original code you posted is essentially unchanged.

> The modified code is:
>
> data = Table[Sin[x], {x, 0, 10}];
> event[point_] :=
>   EventHandler[Tooltip[Point[point], "EventHandler"],
>    "MouseClicked" :>
>     CreateDocument[
>      ListPlot[data, Frame -> True,
>       FrameLabel -> {{y, Sin[x]}, {x,
>          "EventHandler Copy & Paste Works"}},
>       LabelStyle -> Directive[Red, Bold]], WindowSize -> All]];
> pop[point_] :=
>   PopupWindow[Tooltip[Point[point], "Popup"],
>    ListPlot[data, Frame -> True,
>     FrameLabel -> {{y, Sin[x]}, {x, "Popup Copy & Paste Works"}},
>     LabelStyle -> Directive[Blue, Bold]], WindowSize -> All];
> Graphics[{PointSize[Large], Red, event[{0, 1}], Blue, pop[{1, 1}]},
>  AspectRatio -> Full, ImageSize -> {50, 20}]
>
> Thomas wrote:
> > It is interesting that it works for you: your solution does not work fo=
r me. Maybe it's a Mac vs. Win issue? However, John Fultz has sent me a sol=
ution, which will also appear on Mathgroup.

> I want to raise an issue that has bothered me recently as someone who pla=
ns to enjoy using Mathematica more and more in the next decade.

> I appreciate that this particular problem is probably hardware dependent =
but we seem to be discussing too many hardware / "Mathematica Version Numbe=
r" problems recently in MathGroup.

> In my opinion Mathematica is too important a system to have such issues t=
wenty three years after its first release. Looking back at version history =
at:

> http://www.wolfram.com/mathematica/quick-revision-history.html
>
> anyone who follows the groups posts closely can still see too much eviden=
ce that very old versions still have relatively high current usage.

> I hope it is only a matter of waiting a short time before Dr. Wolfram dec=
ides to rationalize the marketing and sales strategy to make Mathematica th=
e force for technical excellence and mass utility that all the brilliant de=
velopment work warrants.

> The perpetuation of support problems that the current "product version pr=
oliferation" in the customer base creates for WRI and its customers has no =
place in todays world of global software systems.

> Customers expect high standards of quality, uniformity of performance, an=
d consistency of operation.

> (All that despite a heterogenous set of supported customer platforms).
>
> Having rapid and near 100% customer conversion to the currently released =
version of a software product is the norm

> Having that for Mathematica would drastically reduce support problems for=
 WRI and only enhance the user community product satisfaction. I hope this =
be comes a realized goal for Mathematica soon, if you go through the curren=
t product marketing materials on the Mathematica website it does not appear=
 to be even a goal right now.

> We might then also get frequent (and automated) bug fixes, reasonable cos=
t upgrades annually, and the benefits of a rapidly growing user base sharin=
g a common Mathematica experience.

> That is also a key to creating a stronger market for Mathematica develope=
rs and publishers.

> I invite your comments.
>
> Cheers .... Syd
>
> Syd Geraghty B.Sc, M.Sc.
>
> sydgerag... at mac.com
>
> Mathematica 8.0 for Mac OS X x86 (64-bit) (February 23, 2011)
> ReleaseID:    8.0.1.0 (2063982, 2063639)
> MacOS X Version 10.6.5 Snow Leopard
> MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo  2GB RAM

Syd I've always viewed older versions of Mathematica as its biggest competitor
but others see it differently. I'd be surprised if much more than 10%
of users are on version 8. Maybe the problem -- if you regard users on
previous versions as a problem -- is that previous versions have been
good enough for what people want to use them for so there is no
incentive to want to upgrade. New features get added to new versions
that's for sure but how many of these features are things users
actually want? Version 8 didn't exactly set this newsgroup on fire.
Additionally the majority of new features in the last decade or so are
features that have existed in competitor products for years prior to
the Mathematica implementation. So it is possible/probable that users have
standardized on other software for doing those tasks and the new
features offer no upgrade incentive and come with a switching cost --
notwithstanding that the Mathematica implementation tends to be better than in
the original software that it is copying.

The natural language input is one of the few things ever introduced
that can be deemed truly original -- in the context of Mathematica and its
competitors. But even then is this something people want? Is it
something to make people upgrade? Doubtful.

Mike