Find all minima, maxima and saddles

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg117608] Find all minima, maxima and saddles
  • From: "J.Frazer" <j.frazer at sussex.ac.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 06:29:51 -0500 (EST)

Hello,

I imagine this is a well known problem but so far I can't spot an
answer.

The problem is simply to find all minima, maxima and saddle points in
some finite region of a function in D variables where D< 10 or so.

There is nothing particularly awkward about the functions I have in
mind, nor do I expect vast numbers of maxima and minima, 10s or maybe
100s, not thousands.

Is there a simple way of doing this?

Cheers,

Jonny