Re: Why Mathematica does not issue a warning when the calculations

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg117653] Re: Why Mathematica does not issue a warning when the calculations
  • From: John Travolta Sardus <pireddag at hotmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 06:54:12 -0500 (EST)

On 24.03.11 12:32, Daniel Lichtblau wrote:

(several things and)

> precision tracking and fixed precision

ok, so I realize there is a deeper point which I had failed to
appreciate properly. I will take my time to read through the
documentation, although probably I won't understand it up to the lat detail.

Anyway, when writing I had something in mind, somewhat naive, but I
thought it had something to do with the general issue (that is, it would
be nice to have software that *always* warns when the calculations are
losing precision).

First a (very naive) point of view

- when a calculation is impossible for a computer, then just do not do
it ... do not subtract two very large numbers that are almost equal to
each other hoping to get their difference correct to the n-th decimal
digit (ok, almost joking here)

What I actually had in mind

- there are algorithms which, I know, can give a nice rule on the
expected usefulness of the result beforehand (the most important case
that I know of is the condition number for matrix inversion: by the way,
I have verified that Mathematica issues the usual warning when dealing
with an ill-conditioned matrix, and that stating a precision). When
reflecting about it, it seems very unlikely that there is a simple
criterion for every algorithm (quoting again ...
> Many computations cannot be done with good
> error control, or a priori estimates of needed initial precision.
So, to make my original question more precise, are the algorithms
corresponding to each Mathematica command (of which there is only a
finite set ...) classified into "algorithms with good error bounds" and
"algorithm without" and is there such a list? I guess not, and in any
case it is better to learn about this "significance arithmetic" if one
wants to use Mathematica with its "arbitrary precision arithmetic".

Just to make an (extreme?) example of what can happen, I was fooling
around with ill-conditioned matrices, to see whether I could obtain
accurate results for the solution of ill-conditioned linear systems
using the second argument to the N function. After a while of playing
around I entered the following (I wanted to introduce a new vector of
known values into my calculations)

b = {1, -999999999999998}

Resulting into the output:

{1, -999997999000002}

I guess one needs first to learn how to use Mathematica, then he can use
it effectively