read CSV

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg117721] read CSV
  • From: Alan <alan.isaac at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 04:13:40 -0500 (EST)

I've received some files formatted like below.
How can I read selected columns into a list?
I'm coming from a background where I'd read in each line,
discarding the first, then (in this case at least)
split on the comma, and coerce the type.  So I'm happy
to do that if I can figure out how.  (Naturally I could
preprocess the data into a form that say ReadList
likes better, but I'm looking for a pure Mathematica solution.)

Thanks,
Alan Isaac

"x","y","color","pen down?"
"0","0.26161459854014585","105","true"