no need to compile a tuned libgmp under Linux

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg117692] no need to compile a tuned libgmp under Linux
  • From: Peter <petsie at dordos.net>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 04:08:11 -0500 (EST)

Dear group,

with "version don't know" (must have been 5.2 - 7.x) it worked to
replace the delivered libgmp.so.version with a self-compiled and tuned
own version. Usually this gave 5-8% speedup in some numeric functions.

  I tried with a newly generated gcc-4.6 and it failed though "make
check" in gmp as in the dependent libs mpfr and mpc succeeded.

Just typed this to prevent you from unnecessary effort.

Peter

P.S.: Nice you're again here, Steven. I've been (a bit) in sorrow.