Re: Coordinates from Graphics3D images

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg117705] Re: Coordinates from Graphics3D images
  • From: finkh <howardfink at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 04:10:36 -0500 (EST)

I would like to extract the surface and the accompanying texture from

 moon = SphericalPlot3D[1, {u, 0, Pi}, {v, 0, 2 Pi}, Mesh -> None,
  TextureCoordinateFunction -> ({#5, 1 - #4} &),
  PlotStyle ->
   Directive[Specularity[White, 10],
    Texture[Import[
      "http://finkh.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/ldem_4.png";]]],
  Lighting -> {"Ambient", White}, Axes -> False, Boxed -> False,
  RotationAction -> "Clip"]

This is a map of the moon with elevation data represented by a
grayscale texture taken from the Planetary Data System.  When I
extract the polygons from the object the texture does not travel with
the polygons.  How would I select a portion of the sphere while
preserving the shape and the texture.

Then reorient so the center of the selection is up, convert to
cartesian, listplot3d and export as stl for the rapid prototyper.

Here is what I am doing:  http://finkh.wordpress.com/2011/02/01/the-south-pole-of-the-moon-shackleton-crater/