Re: Importing into Mathematica from URL (PubMed)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg117696] Re: Importing into Mathematica from URL (PubMed)
  • From: Zach Bjornson <zachb at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 04:08:55 -0500 (EST)

The URL you're trying to access returns a java-requiring page designed
for human interface. Instead:

asn1=Import["http://eutils.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/eutils/efetch.fcgi?db=protein&id=CAA76847.1";,
"Text"]

Notice the different url (eutils). This returns an ASN.1 file, which is
much like XML. Your protein sequence is in there, as is the mRNA
sequence (which is in the packed ncbi2na format). To yank out just the
AA sequence:

StringJoin@
  StringReplace[
   StringDrop[
    StringDrop[StringCases[asn1, Shortest["ncbieaa \"" ~~ __ ~~ "\""]],

Best,
Zach