Huge file for a several-line plot

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg118537] Huge file for a several-line plot
  • From: Dushan Mitrovich <dushanm at spinn.net>
  • Date: Mon, 2 May 2011 06:51:08 -0400 (EDT)

I wanted to plot a number of the orthogonal coordinate lines of a
Bi-polar coordinate system - a total of 22 curves.  All the curves
are circles.  With PlotPoints unspecified, some of the circles had
polygonal parts, so to eliminate this I added the option PlotPoints->50.
  That took a long time to plot (on a 4-CPU Mac Pro),
and generated a notebook size of 10.5 MB.  (Using PlotPoints->30 drops
the size to 4.5 MB.)

With that plot cell deleted the size is 53 KB.  The file labels
the graphic as 'CompressedData', but there simply isn't that much
information in the plot.  It's as tho Mathematica were storing every
pixel of the plot, with very inefficient compression.

With that plot the spinning beachball (computer busy) would appear
every few seconds, and it was impossible to alter the graphic size.

How can I instruct Mathematica to make more sensible choices for
generating and storing the plot?

- Dushan
   [ reverse the middle word of address to reply ]