Re: Mathematica handling of on where it saves current open notebook (again)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg118865] Re: Mathematica handling of on where it saves current open notebook (again)
  • From: "Nasser M. Abbasi" <nma at 12000.org>
  • Date: Sat, 14 May 2011 03:04:23 -0400 (EDT)

On 5/13/2011 3:30 AM, Murray Eisenberg wrote:
> I do believe this behavior is by design, and it's a design I like!
>
> Whatever file you're working on, the current value of Directory[]
> changes to that. To change it to something else, just use SetDirectory,
> which you can of course combine with EvaluationNotebook, etc.

The notebook should always have ONE home folder, which is
the one it was opened from. Unless one explicitly changes
that using SaveAs.

This is how all sane application work, from the day
computers were born :)

So, I open a notebook from folder A. I then insert an image
into it by loading the image from folder B and then save the
notebook.

Now a copy of the same notebook is written to folder B.

Next, I insert an image which happened to be in folder C,
and save the notebook. Now another copy of the notebook is
saved in folder C.

At the end of the day, I'll have 10 different copies of the
notebook in 10 different places all over the place, and I need
to go find which is the most current.

And you really like this design?  I do not understand.

--Nasser