Combinations and Counting

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg118907] Combinations and Counting
  • From: Dean Rosenthal <deanrosenthal at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 15 May 2011 07:05:00 -0400 (EDT)

What might be the most efficient way to write a little program that counted
combinations in the following way:

1 choose 1, 2 choose 1, 2 choose 2, 3 choose 1, 3 choose 2, 3 choose 3, 4
choose 1, 4 choose 2, 4 choose 3 ... continuing the pattern ...

So that I would be able to derive each subset in that order?  Invoking
"subsets" in the most rudimentary way *almost* gets me there, but I would
like to see the output of this series of combinations in this special order,
in column form, and be able to carry out my search much further.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

DR
--