Re: Mathematica handling of on where it saves current open notebook (again)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg118922] Re: Mathematica handling of on where it saves current open notebook (again)
  • From: "Nasser M. Abbasi" <nma at 12000.org>
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 03:33:59 -0400 (EDT)

On 5/15/2011 4:06 AM, Murray Eisenberg wrote:
> You still haven't told us what you mean when you say you "insert an
> image" from folder B into your notebook from folder A.  Is it just a
> graphic you opened with some other program?  Or was it in another
> notebook in folder B that you opened.

It is simply the act of

Insert->Picture->From File

into the notebook.

If the file happened to be in some folder than the one
the notebook was opened from, then Mathematica will
silently changes the home folder for the current notebook
to the folder the image was in.

It seems any thing that causes Mathematica to open something
(notebook, image file, etc...) it will change the 'current'
default folder globally to that latest folder.

This wreak havoc for any one who has more than one notebook
open at the same time and from different locations.

I normally have few notebooks open at the same time, from
different folders all over the place. I never use SAVE any
more as I consider it broken. I always use SAVE AS and make
sure I nagavigate back to the correct folder I opened
the notebook from.

I should not have to do this. Only software I have to do this
with is Mathematica.

--Nasser