Re: TeXForm: slight change in behaviour from version 7 to version 8

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg118975] Re: TeXForm: slight change in behaviour from version 7 to version 8
  • From: Themis Matsoukas <tmatsoukas at me.com>
  • Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 07:17:00 -0400 (EDT)

I don't remember how things worked in version 7 but to me it makes sense that TeXForm["..."] should return \text{...}.

TeXForm["\[Alpha]"] returns

\alpha

b/c as a math character, it only exists in math mode. On the other hand,

TeXForm["if \[Alpha] > 1"]

returns

\text{if $\alpha $ $>$ 1}

as I would expect. TeXForm is not perfect and some manual clean up is usually necessary. In the last expression, aI would write the final result as

\text{if $\alpha  >  1$}

tm

PS. There are some extra " and \ in your original post that I don't see in my output. I suspect they are artifacts caused during posting.