Re: Get["file.mx"] doesn't work

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg119010] Re: Get["file.mx"] doesn't work
  • From: Albert Retey <awnl at gmx-topmail.de>
  • Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 07:44:46 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

> There is an interesting alternative to using MX files, which seems to
> be portable:
>
> str=OpenWrite[file,BinaryFormat->True];
> BinaryWrite[str,Compress[expr],"TerminatedString"]; Close[str];

Another alternative seems to be WDX (Wolfram Data eXchange) which I am
using without problems on a variety of machines and which also seems to
be portable, can be used exactly like MX files, is binary, is documented
and thus I would consider officially supported. And it is used by the
data paclet functionality, so I guess it is reasonably performant and
well tested on all systems (an assumption which my experience does
support up to now).

On the other hand that format seems to not be promoted by Wolfram very
much. Has anyone any information what the "official" state of that
format is, and whether WRI thinks it is save and recommended to be used
by ordinary users or not?

Honestly I could well imagine that WDX basically does something very
close to what David suggested :-). If anyone has time to do some
performance comparison between the two, I would be interested to hear
the results...

cheers,

albert