binary notebook

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg119032] binary notebook
  • From: ibmichuco <ibmichuco at hotmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 06:37:12 -0400 (EDT)

Hi all,

Would Wolfram consider an option to save notebook as a binary/ executable
file? The file would still require the presence of a copy of a
compatible version
of Mathematica via, say,  a library link. I can see that this feature
would have
three benefits:

1) The "nbx" file would be much faster, possibly much closer to that
of a
compiled fortran/c version, at least for similar numerical tasks. This
would
make Mathematica an excellent tool both in development and in
production.

2) People are more willing to distribute propriety codes if they can
maintain
some kind of control over them.

3) You can send people several modules bundled in to a single file,
and
hopefully, due to the library links proposal, the file can still be
reasonably
small in size.

Recently I have had to convert some of my codes (pure number
crunching)
that I had developed in Mathematica to f90 just to make some
calculation
practical and thought that this additional feature would have saved
me
considerable time.

Regards,

Michuco