Re: question about plotting

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg119078] Re: question about plotting
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Sat, 21 May 2011 06:47:55 -0400 (EDT)

On 5/20/11 at 6:36 AM, krzysztof.kutak at googlemail.com (Krzysztof
Kutak) wrote:

>I would like to combine plot od datapoints in one
>dimension(for this I use ListPlot[data]) with fitted function ( f[r]
>). Do you know how to do this?

Here are a couple of ways:

First generate some data and a fitted curve

data = Sort@RandomReal[10, 10];
f = m x + b /. FindFit[data, m x + b, {m, b}, x];

Then create the plot

Plot[f, {x, 0, 11},
  Epilog -> {PointSize[.015], Point[Transpose@{Range[10], data}]}]

Note, if the data were a 2D array the Epilog portion would have been

{Pointsize[.015],Point[data]}

or

Show[ListPlot[data], Plot[f, {x, 0, 11}]]