Re: Overloading functions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg119130] Re: Overloading functions
  • From: Sam Takoy <sam.takoy at yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sun, 22 May 2011 06:57:41 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks Leonid.

Let me paraphrase, so I can clarify my original confusion and see if I got it
right.

I assume (am I wrong?) that MyOperator[f][x, y] associates left
(MyOperator[f])[x, y]. At the time MyOperator[f] is called, no decision is made
as to which f to send to MyOperator, because what is sent to the operator is
just the symbol "f". Inside MyOperator, Mathematica sees Derivative[1,0][f] and
based on this looks for a rule for "f" that takes two variables.

Is that correct?

Thanks!

Sam