Re: Unicode path names not supported on Windows?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg119263] Re: Unicode path names not supported on Windows?
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 06:13:59 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 26 May 2011 06:37:09 -0400 (EDT), Szabolcs Horv=E1t wrote:
> Dear MathGroup,
>
> It appears Mathematica 8 won't open files with unicode path names (e.g.
> ones with non-Latin-1-codepage accented characters in them, or ones with
> Chinese characters).
>
> Is there any workaround for this, apart from using only ascii in
> directory names?
>
> (Note that no single code page supports all languages I use regularly ...)

Are you sure that parenthetical statement is true?  ShiftJIS and CP936 (i.e.,
Chinese Simplified) cover a pretty wide range of characters...more than just
ASCII and Japanese/Chinese.

In current versions of Mathematica, the kernel should support arbitrary Unicode
characters in filenames, so it is at least true that you can access all files if
strictly necessary, albeit in perhaps a clunky manner (using, e.g.,
NotebookPut[Get[filename]]).  Supporting Unicode filenames is planned for a
future version of the Windows front end.  The problem doesn't exist at all on
Mac, or in the dominant usage of Linux with UTF-8 encoded file systems.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com
User Interface Group