Re: Where are all my "memories" gone?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg122597] Re: Where are all my "memories" gone?
  • From: Oliver Ruebenkoenig <ruebenko at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 03:43:34 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 2 Nov 2011, Patrick Scheibe wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a bit of a delicate problem here. On a fresh kernel this
>
> data = Table[RandomInteger[{0, 255}], {i, 100*2^20}];
> ByteCount[data]/2.^20
>
> results in exactly 400MB. My resource-manager of the operating system
> confirms it by telling me the MathKernel occupies 422MB of memory.
>
> In real life, I'm working with tif-images stacks. I only import the
> underlying data and not the images itself.
>
> path = "/long/path/to/aLargeImage.tif";
> data = Import[path, "Data"];
> ByteCount[data]/2.^30
>
> tells me 3.88GB which seems reasonable since the tif is about 2.0GB on
> the drive. What does *not* look reasonable is, that Mathematica occupies
> now 9.7GB of my memory and it doesn't seem to know:
>
> In[4]:= {MemoryInUse[], MemoryInUse[$FrontEnd]}/2.^30
>
> Out[4]= {3.9044, 0.0000874288}
>
> Can anyone give any useful information?
>
> Cheers
> Patrick
>
> My OS is:
> Linux-x86-64
> Ubuntu 10.04

Hallo Patrick,

we were not able to reproduce this on a Mac - perhaps it is best you send
this to support at wolfram.com.

Perhaps this is a memory leak in Import - but this speculation and one
would have to look at the specific example.

The support can then also tell you where to out the 2GB picture.

Oliver