Re: Mathematica 8.0.4 now available

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg122652] Re: Mathematica 8.0.4 now available
  • From: A Retey <awnl at gmx-topmail.de>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2011 06:02:58 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

> I have tested Mathematica 8.0.4 for CUDA because now I have a new
> laptop with a new nVidia Geforce 555M card. As before, CUDADot is
> slower than regular Dot on reals, so I do not know how I could benefit
> from GPU calculations
>
> Another disappointment is that 8.0.4 does not recognize any C compiles
> except of the Intel C compiler and a Generic C compiler that are
> listed by CCompilers[Full]. There are no other compilers in the list.
> I have upgraded to Mathematica 8.0.4 under Windows7  with the new
> laptop and now I cannot use Miscosoft Visual C++ compiler. Also I have
> upgraded on my Mac Pro and now I cannot use the GCC compiler that I
> was using with Mathematica 8.0.1.

I don't think that this is true, I have installed the MS compiler on
Windows 7 64 bit and it works alright with 8.0.4. There is also nothing
mentioned in the documentation that other compilers would not be
supported anymore. Maybe you want to check that you have recent versions
or whether something is wrong with your configuration, you also might
want to ask WRI for some support...

> I do not know whether a better CDF support and maybe a better MKL
> library compensate for the loss of C compilers and thus whether an
> upgrade to 8.0.4 makes sense.

I can't give you a list, but my guess is that there have been various
bugs fixed in version 8.0.4, one of them has been discussed in this very
thread. So I think additional features are not the main reason why
someone might want to upgrade.

 > As for GPU computations, it seems we have to wait for Mathematica 9.

that depends a lot on what level you expect support for this and what
you want to do with it. At the current stage, it will take some effort
to get everything running. _And_ it is also up to you to adopt the code
to the hardware to be used on a relatively low level, otherwise you
can't expect the best possible speedup. But to my understanding that is
somewhat intrinsic to GPU computing (or even parallel computing) in
general. It remains to be seen whether WRI can achieve easy access at a
higher level without loosing efficiency in future versions, but I think
it's just not that simple, so I wouldn't expect wonders from version 9...

regards,

albert