Re: How to evaluate parts of an expression, but not other parts?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg122726] Re: How to evaluate parts of an expression, but not other parts?
  • From: Alexey Popkov <lehin.p at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2011 07:14:18 -0500 (EST)

Hi Julian,

Please see strongly related thread on Stack Overflow:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6633236/replace-inside-held-expression

Two techniques are presented and discussed there:

1) The Trott-Strzebonski in-place evaluation technique

http://library.wolfram.com/conferences/devconf99/villegas/UnevaluatedExpressions/Links/index_lnk_30.html

2) An undocumented, but very convenient, way to make replacements in
held expressions using RuleCondition:

In[3]:= Hold[{1, 2, 3, 4, 5}] /. n_Integer :> RuleCondition[n^2,
OddQ[n]]
Out[3]= Hold[{1, 2, 9, 4, 25}]

HTH,
Alexey