Re: Solving simple equations

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg122737] Re: Solving simple equations
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2011 07:16:16 -0500 (EST)

I think one should note that when using PowerExpand one can get a
solution that is only valid for some values of the parameters or even
one that is never valid at all. As an example, consider the equation:

eq = Sqrt[1/z] - 1/Sqrt[z] + Sqrt[1/a] - 1/Sqrt[a] +  a + z == 0

It actually has no solutions over the reals as you can tell with

Reduce[eq, z, Reals]

False

But if you use PowerExpand you will get a "solution":

sol = Solve[PowerExpand[eq], z, Reals][[1]]

{z->-a}

The solution is, of course, wrong. If you use PowerExpand with Assumptions you can see this fact:

Solve[PowerExpand[eq,
     Assumptions -> a >= 0], z, Reals]

{{z -> ConditionalExpression[-a, a < 0]}}

The answer contradicts the assumption. Similarly:

Solve[PowerExpand[eq, Assumptions -> a >= 0], z, Reals]

{{z->ConditionalExpression[-a,a<0]}}

Andrzej Kozlowski