Re: How to evaluate parts of an expression, but not other parts?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg122750] Re: How to evaluate parts of an expression, but not other parts?
  • From: Julian Francis <julian.w.francis at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2011 06:26:10 -0500 (EST)

Thank you all for your suggestions.

I have just realised I can probably get the effect I am looking for by
just not using the built in Mathematica Plus function. If I call the
function MyPlus instead,
then MyPlus[ MyPlus[a,b] , MyPlus[c,d] ] does the evaluation for
a,b,c,d but doesn't try to combine the MyPlus's together. Not
surprisingly as it can't presumably
without any other definitions.

I think it's pretty simple, and does what I want.

I will have a look at some of your other Hold solutions (just in case
I want to use this elsewhere to actually evaluate whole expressions
and do want the Plus's to be evaluated).

Once again, thank you all.

Kind regards,
Julian.