Re: Import files on accessible URL and save in

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg122775] Re: Import files on accessible URL and save in
  • From: DrMajorBob <btreat1 at austin.rr.com>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 06:52:54 -0500 (EST)

Thanks for the explanation that the file went away on its own. I'd guessed
as much, but confirmation is helpful.

> That location comes from Java, as the value of the java.io.tmpdir
> property. It is a truly bizarre path, but that is a MacOSX-ism.

No, that would be a Java-ism ON the Mac, with Mathematica doing nothing to
remedy the situation... as it clearly could, or the second argument
wouldn't be possible. Files created in Mathematica usually go into my
/username or working directory, and I see no reason that shouldn't apply
to FetchURL as well.

Wherever blame (or credit?) lies, I can safely say that not once, in 41
years of computing, have I EVER wanted to create or download a file where
I couldn't see it.

Bobby

DrMajorBob at yahoo.com