Timing function

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg122970] Timing function
  • From: Mark <big.dog1 at att.net>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2011 06:44:33 -0500 (EST)

Hello community:

When I run the following expression below, It returns the value of zero for the timing. If I press "shift enter" again, it then correctly returns the amount of time for the expression to run / plot.

Also, I noticed that if I change the variable from x^3 to x^2 and press "shift enter" at that point, zero again is returned for the timing result. I am using Mathematica 8.01

Timing[Plot[x^3, {x, -5, 5}]]

Does anyone know the reason for this?