Re: What is the point of having Initializations in DynamicModule and Manipulate?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg123047] Re: What is the point of having Initializations in DynamicModule and Manipulate?
  • From: Gary <gpalmerlv at gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 04:29:49 -0500 (EST)

It is really nice to have these examples of variations. Would you
explain for a rank beginner what is happening in the following snippet
from your last example?

Dynamic@plot,
   Row[{"c: ",
     Slider[Dynamic[c, (c = #; calcAll[c]) &], {0, 1},
      Appearance -> "Labeled"]}],

That is, what is Dynamic@plot doing? Is it evaluating plot each time
the slider is moved? What is the function of the @ symbol here in
contrast with square brackets?

And in Slider[Dynamic[c, (c = #; calcAll[c]) &], {0, 1},... what is
going on in Dynamic[c, (c = #; calcAll[c]) &] ? Is # being
instantiated with the values from the slider range? Why the ampersand?

Gary