Re: Bad Precision output for SphericaBesselY and BesselY

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg123083] Re: Bad Precision output for SphericaBesselY and BesselY
  • From: "Oleksandr Rasputinov" <oleksandr_rasputinov at hmamail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 07:04:03 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 22 Nov 2011 10:43:52 -0000, Antonio Alvaro Ranha Neves
<aneves at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear users,
>
> Recently I'm working with precision calculations of spherical functions.
> Example, let,
>
> n = 150
> x = SetPrecision[120.3, 100]
> BesselY[n + 1/2, x] // Precision
> BesselJ[n+ 1/2, x] // Precision
>

> Yields 67.2708 and 96.9297 respectively. The two questions are:
> 1) Why does BesselY results in a worse than BesselJ?
> 2) How to redefine, BesselY to automatically output a result with a
> desired pecision?
>
> Note: Simply using N[expr,90], does not yield a result of expr with 90
> precision but maintains the same 67.2708.
>
> Thanks,
> Antonio

Both functions lose precision, and BesselY loses a lot. Why this would be
I don't know off-hand as I'm not sure what method these functions use to
calculate their outputs. However, the essential problem is that there
isn't enough precision in your input. If you try

x = SetPrecision[120.3, Infinity]

or better

x = Rationalize[120.3]

then N is able to give you an output with the full 90 digits of precision
in both cases.