MathGroup Archive 2011

[Date Index] [Thread Index] [Author Index]

Search the Archive

Aligning 2 Sets of Axes at {0,0}; Rotated & Standard Position

• To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg123107] Aligning 2 Sets of Axes at {0,0}; Rotated & Standard Position
  • Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 07:08:27 -0500 (EST)
  • Delivered-to: l-mathgroup@mail-archive0.wolfram.com

Subj: Aligning Two Sets of Axes at {0,0}; Rotated and Standard Position in one plot.

Hi:

I have the following Mathematica 8.0.4 code that gives me a satisfactory plot:

a=17;b=-48;c=31;
(ArcTan[b/(a-c)])/2;
N[(%)*(180/Pi)];
Print["Majoraxis: Angle in Decimal Degrees= ",%]
axes=Graphics[Point[{0,0}],PlotRange->{{-12,12},{-12,12}},Axes->True,AxesStyle->{Directive[{Red,Thin}],Directive[{Black,Thin}]},AxesLabel->{"'x","'y"},AspectRatio->1,ImageSize->500];
ContourPlot[17*x^2-48*x*y+31*y^2+49==0,{x,-12,12},{y,-12,12},AspectRatio->1,Axes->True,AxesStyle->{Directive[{Red,Thin}],Directive[{Black,Thin}]},AxesLabel->{"X","Y"},Background->LightGray,ImageSize->500,Prolog->Inset[Rotate[Graphics[axes],36.8699Degree],{.1,.7}]]

However, my objective here is to combine the two plots with the two sets of axes centered automatically.
As my code is now, I have to use a trial-and-error visual inspection method, and manually input the location of the rotated axes to match the main plot axes' center at standard position.

Ref: See {.1,.7} in ...Inset[Rotate[Graphics[axes],36.8699Degree],{.1,.7}]] 
(In another example using another equation that I ploted, the alignment values were different yet. So for some reason, these numbers don't seem to be constants from one plot to another.)

I have tried AxesOrigin->{0,0} in the plots, but this doesn't seem to matter. Any help will be appreciated.

Tia,

Bill

• Prev by Date: Re: How to get sub-list elements at certain position in a long list
  • Next by Date: Simplification of fraction containing subscripted variables
  • Previous by thread: Re: Piecewise bug in Mathematica 8.01?
  • Next by thread: Re: Aligning 2 Sets of Axes at {0,0}; Rotated & Standard Position