Contours for negative and positive in ContourPlot

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg123145] Contours for negative and positive in ContourPlot
  • From: Chris Young <cy56 at comcast.net>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 06:58:54 -0500 (EST)

I got the following to plot different styles of contours for negative
and positive values, by using RegionPlot to make separate plots.

I suppose I could use a list of contours with style directives
included. This would be more cumbersome coding, but the current version
is really slow to respond.

Chris Young
cy56 at comcast.net

Manipulate[
 Row[
  {
   Show[
    ContourPlot[
     Sin[x y], {x, x0, x1}, {y, y0, y1},
     ColorFunction -> (Hue[#, sat, bri] &),
     ContourStyle -> {Directive[Green, Dotted, AbsoluteThickness[thick],
        Opacity[opac]]},
     RegionFunction -> Function[{x, y}, Sin[x y] > 0]
     ],
    ContourPlot[
     Sin[x y], {x, x0, x1}, {y, y0, y1},
     ColorFunction -> (Hue[#, sat, bri] &),
     ContourStyle -> {Directive[Red, Dotted, AbsoluteThickness[thick],
        Opacity[opac]]},
     RegionFunction -> Function[{x, y}, Sin[x y] < 0]
     ]
    ],

   ContourPlot3D[
    Sin[x y] == z, {x, x0, x1}, {y, y0, y1}, {z, -1, 1},
    BoxRatios -> {x1 - x0, y1 - y0, 2},
    MeshFunctions -> {#3 &},
    Lighting -> "Neutral",
    ColorFunction -> (Hue[#3, sat, bri] &)