Re: Color - Appearance of Buttons

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg123204] Re: Color - Appearance of Buttons
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 05:08:36 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 04:59:56 -0500 (EST), Jakob Ebner wrote:
> If I change the Background of a button to a different color it has
> this "old" M5 style, see the difference between
> Button["test", None]
> Button["test", None, Background -> Orange]
>
> Is there a way to keep the styling for different colors and/or to
> change the color when you hover over the button?
>
> Jakob Ebner

The modern visual styling of buttons is painted by the operating system, and the
operating system has no way of setting the colors on a button-by-button basis
(although some operating systems allow global setting of "themes" that may
affect this).  We've deliberately chosen to allow the operating system to handle
this case rather than trying to emulate what the operating system does and play
a game of "follow the leader" as new versions of the OS come out.

And, frankly, I'm not even sure what the rules should be for arbitrary colors
for a modern Windows or Mac system (how to treat the gradients, what should the
pressed appearance look like, how should default buttons distinguish themselves,
what should mouseover appearances be, etc.).  And so, we've let the historical
implementation stay unchanged.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com