Re: Point light source penetrating through surfaces

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg123284] Re: Point light source penetrating through surfaces
  • From: "Oleksandr Rasputinov" <oleksandr_rasputinov at hmamail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 03:21:22 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 12:56:38 -0000, Chris Young <cy56 at comcast.net> wrote:

> Please excuse my not giving a simpler, but here's a strange behavior of
> Lighting for a point source. The light seems to go right through opaque
> objects! I've been turning off the lighting for the other objects, but
> no matter what I do, the inside of the torus is getting a glow from the
> "light bulb" at the left. Maybe I'm not showing the position of the
> light source correctly, but I can't see any error

There is no error; Mathematica does not draw shadows. The objective of the
graphics functions is to give readily understandable visualisations of
complex functions and data, not to produce physically realistic
renderings. Having the plotted surface cast shadows on itself is contrary
to that goal, and so is not supported. If you prefer, you can export the
3-d plot in one of the formats listed at
guide/3DGeometryAndModelingFormats and use a program that does support
shadows to render it instead.