Re: ParallelDo and C-compiled routines

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg121816] Re: ParallelDo and C-compiled routines
  • From: Gabriel Landi <gtlandi at gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2011 04:24:07 -0400 (EDT)

Yes, you are absolutely right Patrick.

The only thing I disagree is the "as easily available".
I have a code that solves stochastic differential equations and I have
tried to implement it in Mathematica.
So far I have had a pretty hard time. Can you point me in the right
direction? It is written in C++.
Is there an easy way to add the wolfram libraries so that it can be
accessed inside Mathematica?

Thanks in advance,

Gabriel

On Oct 2, 2011, at 6:43 AM, Patrick Scheibe wrote:

> The communication overhead is beyond good and evil. I assumed someone
> who asked a question about ParallelDo is kind of concerned about
> *speed*:
>
> In[19]:= First@
> AbsoluteTiming@
>  Table[ReadList["! tmp/square.exe " <> ToString[i], Number], {i,
>    10000}]
>
> Out[19]= 48.957941
>
> the equivalent library function:
>
> In[18]:= First@AbsoluteTiming@Table[cfun, {i, 10000}]
>
> Out[18]= 0.005934
>
> I admit, that a function like "square" is a bit too short for a
> "longRoutine", but why using this kind of communication when the faster
> solution is as easily available?
> Maybe sometimes the "old school" is for some purposes just outdated.
>
> Cheers
> Patrick
>
> On Sun, 2011-10-02 at 02:36 -0400, Gabriel Landi wrote:
>> You can always try the 'old school' way. Use Mathematica as a command prompt:
>>
>> ParallelDo[result[i] =ReadList[ "! ./c_code.exe", Number], {i,number}]
>>
>> Works perfectly.

>> option

Kernel.
>> same

>>> No, not exactly. The compiler creates a library which is a dll in
your
>>> (Microsoft Windows) case or a shared object on Linux or a dylib on
>>> MacOSX.
>>>
>>> When you compile a function into "C" than a library is created and
the
>>> library function of this dll|so|dylib is accessed when you call the
>>> compiled function in your Mathematica session.
>>>
>>> On my Linux box these created C-libraries are stored in my
>>> $UserBaseDirectory under
>>>
>>> $UserBaseDirectory/ApplicationData/CCompilerDriver/BuildFolder
>>>
>>> and then every unique MathKernel (with which you compile the
function)
>>> gets its own subdirectory. This means, if my currently running
>>> MathKernel has an process id of, say 2088, I get a subdirectory
>>>
>>> warp-2088
>>>
>>> under the above mentioned folder. "warp" is here the name of my
>> machine.
>>> This information is available in your "CompiledFunction" object too.
>>> Look at
>>>
>>> c // InputForm
>>>
>>> of your function and notice how Oleksandr show in his mail how to
>>> accesses this information to load the compiled function separately
for
>>> each kernel.
>>>
>>> Beside the expanation of Oleksandr, which describes your behavior in
>>> detail, I just want to add, that you don't have to recompile a
>> function
>>> everytime you restart the kernel. You could use LibraryGenerate to
>>> create a library which is permanently available (it seems that the
>>> libraries created with Compile[...,CompilationTarget->"C"] are
deleted
>>> when the kernel quits). So with your MVM CompiledFunction you could
>>> create your lib with:
>>>
>>> << CCodeGenerator`
>>>
>>> m = Compile[{{x, _Real}, {n, _Integer}},
>>>  Module[{sum, inc}, sum = 1.0; inc = 1.0;
>>>   Do[inc = inc*x/i; sum = sum + inc, {i, n}]; sum]];
>>> LibraryGenerate[m, "longRoutine"]
>>>

>>> loadLib[] :=
>>> LibraryFunctionLoad["longRoutine",
>>>  "longRoutine", {{Real, 0, "Constant"}, {Integer, 0, "Constant"}},
>>>  Real] ;
>>>
>>> brandNewC = loadLib[];
>>> NKer = 1;
>>> ParallelDo[