Re: Interesting problem looking for a solution.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg122028] Re: Interesting problem looking for a solution.
  • From: "Oleksandr Rasputinov" <oleksandr_rasputinov at hmamail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 04:25:36 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 09 Oct 2011 08:55:27 +0100, Church, Gary <churchg at smccd.edu> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have an (I think) interesting problem for you Mathematica gurus.
>
> I'm trying to create a worksheet for my students and want to be able to
> display the plot of a randomly generated function f[x], without them
> being able to access the expression which defines f; In other words, I
> don't want them to be able to evaluate f[x].
>
> The idea is that each student will get a different function f[x] and
> will see a different graph and they have to determine the expression
> which defines f. They then have to plot the function they think is f
> against the actual function f[x] and turn in the two plots (or the one
> plot with the two graphs.)
>
> Is this possible?
>
> Thanks much,
> Gary

Much easier than you probably think:

In[1] :=
f[x_?NumericQ] := Sin[7 x] + Cos[3 x];
SetAttributes[f, {ReadProtected, Locked}];

In[3] :=
Plot[f[x], {x, -Pi, Pi}]

Out[3] =
< Plots normally >

In[4] :=
??f

Prints:	Global`f
	Attributes[f] = {Locked,ReadProtected}

In[5] :=
f[x]

Out[5]
f[x]

The key elements here are the restriction to numeric values of the
parameter and the ReadProtected and Locked attributes.