Problems plotting 3D surface and using manipulate

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg122121] Problems plotting 3D surface and using manipulate
  • From: Adam McGee <mcgee.a.c at googlemail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2011 06:03:32 -0400 (EDT)

Good afternoon,

I could really do with some help with this.

I have an array containing a series of x, y pairs, and I have a formula which takes these x, y pairs as inputs along with three other variables a, b, & c to calculate the z value.

What I need to be able to do is calculate the corresponding z value for each x, y pair, then create a surface through these x, y, z points. I want to be able to use Manipulate with three slider bars to update the values of a, b, and c which in turn update the z calculation and update the plot.

The stage I am currently at is as follows:

Manipulate [ ListPoint3d [ Table [ functionName [x, y, a, b, c], {x, 10, 40}, {y, 10, 90} ], ColorFunction -> "Rainbow" ], {a, 0, 1}, {b, 0, 1}, {c, 0, 1} ]

With the above example I am not using the correct input matrix containing x & y just to try and get it working, but the slider bars are unresponsive and it also doesn't look like the values are being calculated correctly either.

Any feedback/advice would be greatly appreciated,
Many thanks