Re: contour plot on a general surface

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg122225] Re: contour plot on a general surface
  • From: Heike Gramberg <heike.gramberg at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 06:24:59 -0400 (EDT)

You could try using the MeshFunctions and MeshShading options. For
example, to plot a function f=f(theta, z) on
a  cylinder, you could do something like

a[th_, z_] := Sin[th] Cos[z]
With[{mesh = Range[-1, 1, .1]},
 RevolutionPlot3D[{1.5, t}, {t, -Pi, Pi},
  MeshFunctions -> {Function[{x, y, z, t, th, r}, a[th, z]]},
  MeshShading -> ColorData["SunsetColors"] /@ Rescale[mesh],
  Mesh -> {mesh},
  Lighting -> "Neutral",
  PlotPoints -> 25]]

Heike.

On 20 Oct 2011, at 13:42, Stephens, Kenny wrote:

> I want to make a 2D contour plot but want the plot projected onto an
arbitrary surface. For example, say I have the radial vibrations of a
cylinder (as a function of polar angle and axial position). I would like
a contour plo of the amplitude mapped onto the surface of the cylinder.