Conditional Import

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg122359] Conditional Import
  • From: sebastian.mansfeld at googlemail.com
  • Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 17:39:42 -0400 (EDT)

Hi!

I would like to import data from a very large text file. If I import all the data, Mathematica takes around 9 h to complete. Therefore I would like to import conditionally, that is for example only every 5th element. It would probably be best to do this using low level function. I have found a help topic on this (developing an import converter), however I can not get it to work. Specifically, I do not understand how to implement my own import converter, and how I can then use this to only import every 5th element of a file.

Thank you!