Re: How to generate ``nice'' algebra output from command-line mathematica?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg125842] Re: How to generate ``nice'' algebra output from command-line mathematica?
  • From: "djmpark" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2012 05:44:19 -0400 (EDT)

Jesse,

Perhaps there is a good reason for what you are trying to do. Nevertheless
I'm wondering why you don't use the regular Mathematica FrontEnd notebook
interface? Without that you are introducing an extra level of "system
programming" problems on top of what might already be tricky problems.

If you wanted to input in one window and output in another window, you could
do that through Notebook programming.

Otherwise, manipulating expressions to a "nice" form is something of an art
in itself - even within the regular notebook interface.

David Park
djmpark at comcast.net

From: Jesse Perla [mailto:jesseperla at gmail.com]

I have a .m file that I am running mathematica on the command line (using a
linux cluster, qsub, and piping the output to a file).  The generated
algebra gets extremely complicated.  I would love to be able to see the
output formatted in a familiar mathematica form (e.g. with the lambda symbol
instead of \[Lambda], integrals, etc.).

Are there any tricks to generate a mathematica workbook or something
equivalent that I can read after my job is complete?  If necessary, I don't
mind choosing some of the algebraic expressions and saving to a binary file
at the end rather than having the whole session stored.  I don't need to
resulting file to be an interactive workbook, so if there is some way to
generate Latex or some static output, then I would be happy with that
approach.

Thanks,
Jesse