Instability with Dynamic content

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg126147] Instability with Dynamic content
  • From: leigh pascoe <leigh at evry.inserm.fr>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 07:50:09 -0400 (EDT)

I have an instability problem with Mathematica 8. The problem can occur
at apparently any time, but usually with a notebook containing Dynamic
content open. It can even occur when browsing through the Help
documentation with a notebook open in the background.

The problem manifests itself as a disappearance of the small arrow at
the bottom of the scroll bar, so I can no longer scroll down a page. The
position indicator is still present in the slider bar on the right of
the window, but when I try to move it this changes the size of the
window rather than the position in the document. Thus I am no longer
able to view content below that already visible in the window. The
notebook window becomes unresponsive to input. The problem seems to
occur quite often and as I have no other option than to restart
Mathematica it is quite annoying and leads to the loss of any unsaved work.

Unfortunately it is difficult to give an example as the problem is
intermittent and apparently random.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any thoughts on how to resolve it?

Thanks

LP

In[61]:= $Version

Out[61]= "8.0 for Microsoft Windows (32-bit) (October 6, 2011)"

Actually 8.0.4.0 MS Windows 32 bit