Re: Unsatisfactory view of Panel, when transformed to pdf

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg126254] Re: Unsatisfactory view of Panel, when transformed to pdf
  • From: Szabolcs Horvát <szhorvat at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 06:49:56 -0400 (EDT)

On 2012.04.26. 11:37, Alexei Boulbitch wrote:
> Dear Community,
>
> I like very much to wrap Mathematica images by Panel, which gives many of them a much better view. To be precise, if image is some illustration, plot etc. I would like to put it in Mathematica document as
> Panel@image
> Then I typically mark the output as Figure in the JournalArticle StyleSheet.
>
> However, most of my documents should be later transformed into pdf for
> further use. This is unavoidable, since in my company nobody else uses Mathematica.
>
> In the pdf document version the panel loses most of its attractivity. The gray color becomes almost white, and the fine rim details (which made the panel looking in Mathematica like a 3D-relief) disappear. In this form Panel makes the view worse, rather than improve it.
>
> Have you any idea of what could be done to improve the Panel view after the document is transformed into pdf?

Hello Alexei,

Panel[] is a GUI element.  Its appearance depends on the operating
system you use, as well as the output format (as you noticed).  Panel is
not really appropriate for what you are using it for.  It is meant for
building graphical user interfaces that need to match the style of the
OS on which they're run.

There's some discussion of this here:

http://mathematica.stackexchange.com/questions/1247/how-to-get-rid-of-panel-margins#comment3056_1248

If you explain what kind of look you're after, or if you show a
screenshot of your figures (mathematica.stackexchange.com would allow
for inserting images in your questions) then we could suggest
alternative and more robust means of achieving the same look.

--
Szabolcs Horvát
Visit Mathematica.SE:  http://mathematica.stackexchange.com/