Re: Trying to quickly split lists at the point of

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg127640] Re: Trying to quickly split lists at the point of
  • From: Earl Mitchell <earl.j.mitchell at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 02:42:01 -0400 (EDT)

This is great, thank you so much. I'll have to spend some time integrating
it into my current code to see how it impacts the performance and if any
other speedups are necessary

As an aside, another method I was considering was thus... Sort column k
(and the response variables) smallest to largest.  Taking the Rest@Union[k]
to get the complete list of possible splits, which we can call kS. Pick the
median value of kS for the first split, then try kS + 1; if the sum of
squared deviations of the responses increases try kS - 1, if it decreases
try kS + 2.  Continue trying new splits until the variance increases, at
which point the last kS is the minimal split.

When I started coding up the algorithm for this I realized that I was
essentially trying to re-invent the brilliance that is NMinimize[] - and
whatever code I wrote for this would be both slower and clumsier than the
in-house functionality.  Unfortunately when I tried to design a function
that took as one of it's arguments kS, and tried to Minimize the resulting
sum of squared deviations in the responses by altering the element of kS
being evaluated (kS[[i]], where NMinimize was solving for the minimal i),
Mathematica would always return i->0 and throw a part error.

I know NMinimize wasn't designed with this sort of thing in mind, but I was
curious if you had any high level thoughts on the approach I've outlined,
and other insights into the workings of NMinimize.

Thanks again for your insightful and clear response!  Again, I apologize if
something above is opaque...

Mitch

   the  sorting the list  all possible split points