Re: Using a huge list of random numbers from random.org

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg127755] Re: Using a huge list of random numbers from random.org
  • From: Richard Fateman <fateman at cs.berkeley.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2012 20:36:54 -0400 (EDT)

On 8/17/2012 12:44 AM, kbru157 at gmail.com wrote:
> I am doing some simulation which requires the use of random numbers.

  I do not want to use pseudo-random numbers.  Instead I intend to
download some of the binary files from random.org
> http://www.random.org/files/
> How do I use these digits within mathematica 8.0? (Subsidiary question:

  How would one convert these binary digits into deimal fractions?)

It might be worth considering whether your avoidance of some
  pseudo-random number generator is helpful.  In fact, if your
simulation is able to distinguish between a good pseudo-random
number generator and atmospheric noise, that would be quite
startling.

These random.org numbers are, philosophically speaking, not random at
all, but completely determined.  An adversary could look at the first
string of bits, discover which of the posted days of random atmospheric
noise you are using, and then predict the next 8 million bits in
sequence. That might, however, be irrelevant to you.