MathGroup Archive 2012

[Date Index] [Thread Index] [Author Index]

Search the Archive

Luke's list of mathematica questions

• To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg127873] Luke's list of mathematica questions
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 01:11:44 -0400 (EDT)
  • Delivered-to: l-mathgroup@mail-archive0.wolfram.com
  • Delivered-to: l-mathgroup@wolfram.com
  • Delivered-to: mathgroup-newout@smc.vnet.net
  • Delivered-to: mathgroup-newsend@smc.vnet.net

I'm just going to make a repository of questions here because I have so many..

1. How do you make section text expand the cell (or group, I'm not sure of the correct term) when clicked, instead of having to click the tiny triangle to the left?

2. Can you make mouseovers show an image, so you could hover over some text like "dog" and have it show an image either stored in the notebook somewhere or pull the first image from google image search with the keyword "dog"

3. If you have lengthy textbook you are trying to make into a Mathematica notebook interactive ebook (over 1000 pages) is it going to slow down the notebook or CDF player or is mathematica really efficient with this kind of thing (compared to PDF)?

4. What are your tips and tricks for newbies learning how to do stuff in mathematica? For example, one trick I learned is to use the Cell->Show Expression hotkey (Shift+Ctrl+E) to steal low-level code of things I don't understand yet and paste them into other things and figure out what they do. I'm looking for more 'tricks'.

-What are your favorite mathematica resources? Are there websites that have libraries of resources such as custom stylesheets, or add-ons for mathematica for free?

5. Can you create custom section frame styles (For example, instead of a rectangle border box on sections, could we import a custom graphic such as a 
gradient to make the boxes fade out from left to right and look cooler)

6. What are the capabilities of mathematica to OCR images? Is there some way we can import Microsoft OneNote's or Microsoft Word's or Nuance OCR technology to mathematica so that we can basically import PDF's as image files and have searchable text in mathematica (Just like in some PDF files in Reader or Acrobat?)

7. What are the capabilities of mathematica to create "filters" and workflow charts (mini applications) such as:
If traffic light is green, then go. (Priority 3)
If traffic light is yellow, then slow. (Priority 3)
If traffic light is red, then stop. (Priority 3)
If ambulance is active, pull over or stop when possible. (Priority 2)
If child facing near road, slow. (Priority 1)

And then have filters, such as it can ask you questions:
What color is the traffic light? (Green)
Is there an active ambulance? (No)
Is there a child facing near road? (No)
Answer: Then go.

What color is the traffic light? (Yellow)
Is there an active ambulance? (Yes)
Is there a child facing near road? (No)
Answer: Then pull over or stop when possible.

This concept except applied to much larger and more complicated databases would be useful. I guess what I'm asking is, can you make 'pull-down' or checkbox interactive forms in mathematica that would 'filter' textual information like this?

• Prev by Date: Re: Mathematica issue
  • Next by Date: Re: How to specify x-axis in List when using ListPlot
  • Previous by thread: Re: How to specify x-axis in List when using ListPlot
  • Next by thread: Re: Luke's list of mathematica questions