What is this shorthand notation?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg127894] What is this shorthand notation?
  • From: Xiaojian Bai <b.x.jian at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 04:10:27 -0400 (EDT)

Hello everyone,

I was looking for a mathematica code for logistic bifurcation. The following link caught my eye.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Mathematica_logistic_bifurcation.png

I am very curious about the shorthand notation in the definition of "logistic" in the second line. It looks like the shorthand "Rule" function or "RuleDelayed", but it can't be. It seems somehow a function is defined.

Wish someone could help me out.

Thanks